St. Astavatatsin church of Odzun is a basilic type, located in the center of Odzun village of Lori province. This monastery was built in 303-313 during the reign of king Trdat III and Grigor the Illuminator. According to tradition, Thomas the Apostle in the 1st century came to Armenia and anointed local monks. Possibly, the name’s origin is associated with the word “otsel”- to anoint. It is known that the apostle Thomas brought Christ’s nappy with him, which, according to tradition, is buried under the altar of the church St. Astavatatsin.
Today’s appearance of the monastery has reached us from the 6th century. Later in the 8th century, Hovhan Odznetsi replaced the tiled roofs with stone, and in 1888 the bell towers were added. The church has been renovated several times, but the dome has not changed since its construction.